Wednesday 28 August 2024

Southend Conservative Group - "Infamy, Infamy, they've all got it in for me!"

 

So the Conservative Group on Southend Council has decided to appoint a new leader, forcing out Cllr Tony Cox and installing Cllr James Courtenay. At the outset I should say that I have considerable respect for both gentlemen who have served the Town and Party well over a number of years. In fact whilst Council Leader I appointed them both to their first cabinet posts and found them effective, articulate and hardworking members of the Administration.

It is of course disappointing for Cllr Cox to be forced out against his wishes but I am surprised that he has chosen to leave the Conservative Group and sit as an Independent. I read his recent Facebook entry which could not be described as his version of mea culpa  but reminded me of Kenneth Williams in Carry on Cleo” – Infamy, Infamy, they’ve all got it in for me!

I hope that he will rethink his position once the dust has settled. No political leader is unchallengeable and if they lose the support of their group there is no realistic option other than to step down. He led the Group through some difficult challenges and was Leader of the Council for a year but perhaps now is the right time to try a different approach. This does not undermine or devalue the efforts and progress he made but I am not convinced that his current actions or comments will enhance that reputation. The Conservatives need to regain control of Southend Council and I wish Cllr Courtenay every success as he works towards the next local elections in 2026. That task would be easier with a supportive and motivated Cllr Cox but perhaps that is too much to ask for!

No comments:

Post a Comment