Sunday 10 February 2013

Cruisers

I am delighted that the prompt and efficient action taken by council officers to obtain an injunction avoided the threatened invasion of hundreds of cruisers on Saturday night. This unofficial and unauthorised event was being switched from elsewhere in the county and would have brought noise, disruption and traffic chaos to the seafront and town centre causing aggravation to residents, visitors and traders alike. I was surprised to see that Labour's new Labour Councillor in Milton was vocal in opposing the obtaining the injunction notwithstanding the fact that his Group Leader had been consulted in advance and had raised no objection. The residents of Milton would have had to put up with this aggravation which would have done nothing to stimulate the local authority but I suppose that this is an advantage from him leaving well away from the ward he represents and therefore detached from the resulting noise. The other Milton councillors who live in the ward appear to me to have had a far better understanding of the interests of the residents! In the meantime well done to my cabinet colleagues Cllrs Tony Cox and Derek Jarvis who gave up their Saturday night to monitor the situation with officers and the police.

3 comments:

  1. If my memory serves me correct I was not publicly vocal, but rather responded to an internal email. T think it bad form that you have quoted me without seeking my permission.

    As to your point about where I live - at least it is in the borough - would you care to comment about two of councillors who reside outside of the town?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once more, without typos:

    If my memory serves me correct I was not publicly vocal, but rather responded to an internal email. I think it bad form that you have quoted me without seeking my permission.

    As to your point about where I live - at least it is within the borough - would you care to comment about two of your councillors who reside outside of the town?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. Are you suggesting that the e mail that you circulated to all 50 of your fellow councillors criticising the efficient actions taken to avoid disruption, which was not confidential either by the nature of it's content or by it's label, was not your true view or was something that you did not wish communicated to those you represent? Do you support the action taken to prevent the town being subjected to these cruisers or not? I do not think that it is necessary for an effective ward councillor to live in the ward he or she represents but where, as in your case, you live some distance away there is a greater need to ensure that you are able to empathise with the concerns of those you represent - something which in this case you have clearly failed to do!

    Nigel

    ReplyDelete